Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 1- Wednesday- Traveling

Today we started our day at 3 am. Luckily we have some great friends that volunteered to drop us off at the airport early in the morning. We left our house and traveled down to the airport, checked in, and waited for our first flight to Atlanta. The whole day seems weird from the start because of the crazy hour you wake up. Plus we have no Bash…. So the day started off in a bit of a haze.

We landed in Atlanta and got off and traveled our way to the terminal for our second flight to Haiti. It was a short walk, train ride, and short walk to get to the international terminal. I wasn’t sure what kind of crowd we would run into. What kind of plane we would be loading. But there actually was a large group of people traveling mostly missionary groups. To be honest I was surprised at some of the ages of kids that were loading up to go. Anyway, we freshened up, filled our water bottle up with clean water, and ate a meal bar (breakfast). It’s kind of funny because the terminal was super new looking. The bathrooms were AMAZINGLY nice. Everything was so clean and fresh and I kept thinking…. What a shock to our system we are about to step into. Shortly after we both freshened up it was time to load the plane. We boarded and got the sweet deal of sitting where the wings are, which means we had extra room for our feet! I called Bash knowing that the internet/wifi in Haiti would be sketchy and I honestly was not sure if/when I was going to be able to talk to him again. After a short exchange and a reminder of our love we hung up with him, put the phone on airplane mode, and we took off for Haiti. The plane ride to Haiti is only 2 hours and 40 minutes. We spent a lot of time reading, trying to cram some Creole in our brains, and I napped because… napping is amazing… and we were up at 3am! They came around with snacks and drinks…. I got my diet coke thinking….. well here is my last sweet soda of goodness for a long time! I sipped it and enjoyed every last drop. J The little pleasures in life.
We finally landed in Haiti and quickly felt the over 100 degree heat as we entered the airport. We walked through all the different stages and customs. Each time we walked to a new area workers were there just pointing in the direction we should go. We finally got our baggage (YES! It all arrived with us) and then we waited. We knew we had a rep from Chances for Children coming for us, we just had no idea what they looked like and we were not sure where exactly they would be. The whole time there are people asking to help you carry your bags, lift your bags, take you in a taxi…. Anything they can think of to help you (for a small price of course). We just kept saying no and waiting. I got a bit nervous thinking about what our plan B would be. Our phones do not work here, and we are at the mercy of wifi and Chances for Children for any help. Finally our rep comes and we walk down to the truck. Two men that I thought were WITH our rep were actually just there trying to make some cash. They quickly ripped my baggage from me and lifted it into the truck for me. I had no idea what was going on until they asked for a tip! J
OK! Now we are in the truck and we start driving. I am not a great writer and I cannot paint pictures with my words. I don’t think I can possibly sum up the scene we saw, but I will try. Before I do I want to preface this with the fact that this is not a dig at Haiti, nor is it a negative thing, these are just the observations and situations we experienced on our way to the guest house:
1-      We only saw 2 stop lights the whole time we were driving
2-      People are literally lining the streets selling items, walking, or carrying items places. There are tons of people out and they just walk through the streets without much regard to the fact that there is a crazy amount of traffic driving without much regard for them!
3-      LOTS of honking. Honking if you are annoyed, honking to say HEY I’m COMING AROUND THIS CORNER PLEASE DON’T HIT ME!, honking if someone is in your way, just random hoking to honk…
4-      A street will go from paved to ridiculously nonexistent in seconds.
5-      I have no idea how we got from point a to point b because there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason to how they are set up. I would not be able to find my way back even if you had a million dollars if I could. It was insane
6-      We saw goats and cows just eating stuff on the side of the road
7-      There is a lot poverty and things are still not rebuilt from the earthquake many years ago. I cannot even begin to describe this.
8-      Our truck broke down about 5 times on our way here. Which was a  bit nerve racking as well.
9-      The mountains here are gorgeous. We are actually up in the mountains right now. They are large and take your breath away
1-   Everyone is dressed up nicely! Everywhere I looked, and all the people I saw were wearing nice clothing. I felt under dressed in my leggings and t-shirt.
1-   As we moved up the mountains we noticed the weather got cooler. Right now we are sitting quite comfortably here in Haiti (never thought I would say that). It has cooled down for the night and there is a nice breeze that makes it quite pleasurable.

When we arrived to the guest house we were welcomed with a group that was here to work at Chances for Children and one mother of a boy from Chances for Children. Today is their last day here… they leave tomorrow morning. It was nice to be welcomed by someone that could speak English as American as that sounds…. We came in, put our stuff in our room and collapsed on the bed. We were just laying there and the others just popped their heads in and introduced themselves. Some of the nicest people in the world! We quickly warmed up to them (especially when they offered a beer for The Man and a glass of wine for me… J). We settled downstairs talking and soon it was dinner.


No wifi to post until tomorrow, but we are pooped at 9:00pm here. We have had a very interesting day, and look so forward to meeting our daughter! The butterflies are in our tummies and our anticipation is as high as ever. But, we will wait until tomorrow! J  

No comments:

Post a Comment